Monday 5 April 2010

BlackBerries and Apples

Well here I am, about to cross over to the dark side...I'm switching from my beloved BlackBerry to an Apple iPhone...

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forwards to my lovely new white toy, but I've been around BlackBerries now for oooo let me think....10 years now.... (crikey!).

It all started with a project I managed to bring in Blackberry devices at a company I worked for - started at 10 devices for the senior team and snowballed into around 1700 of the little gems 6 years later! I've had to use pretty much every device there's been since they launched in the UK - the original black 67xx series devices with the greenish screen and basic integrated phone to the 81xx Pearl devices and all the 8xxx series models beyond. Ahhh I remember all the IT guys in the early days laughing saying that no-one would put one of THOSE to their ear as a phone - it was just too big...but I was a true believer - they were magical devices, a true 'Ronseal' product...they did exactly what it said on the can. They were easy to set up, a piece of cake to use, and easy to fix if they went wrong - ok that was the early days...as RIM got cleverer, the bugs got sneakier but we battled through them all! I waited with baited breath for the Curve to be developed and was the proverbial pig when I was one of the first people in the UK to try it out - I loved that evaluation model and wouldn't let it out of my sight for fear those very same IT guys would run away with it to 'put it through it's paces (tech speak for screw with the Operating System and then try fix it....errr...no thanks lads!)

Here I am though...on the brink of changing away from my beloved old friend to an iPhone. I've had a Macbook for 3 years now and have to say I absolutely love Apple - their software is great, it's well thought out and it looks great! I got an iPod Touch in New York last June and that's given me a great opportunity to use the virtual keyboard, wireless for internet browsing etc and it's been a bit of a chore going back to my trusty 8900 Curve - email is still great - no doubt about that! Those other things I've started to use more and more though... Facebook, internet browsing, using websites in general...I'm sorry to say it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

So, after 10 years it's goodbye to BlackBerry - may they long continue to provide excellent products and their march into the consumer arena (it's still very strange seeing young children with BlackBery devices....and as for the new purple Curve...what's the world coming to! LOL)

Helloooooo iPhone 3Gs in white :)

1 comment: